[c-nsp] Layer2 Switch Recommendations

Dale Blount cisco-nsp at dale.us
Fri Jun 2 11:25:14 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on a (or multiple) Layer2 switches.  The
requirements being:

- All ports support 100/1000
- 72-96 ports on a single unit (unlikely), or the ability to stack the
switches together at 10Gbps+
- Redundant power supplies (both AC would be a bonus).
- I don't exactly know how hardware forwarding on switches work, but I'd
like something that'll work with IPv6 in hardware when it's deployed.
I'm assuming this doesn't matter for L2 as it would for L3.
- IOS is preferred unless reasoning for using CatOS or other can be
explained

If there's a switch that meets these specs but is Layer3, I'll consider
it as well.  I know this is a Cisco list, but feel free to alert me of
other brands also (offlist if you must).

Thanks,

Dale