[c-nsp] CE500 vs 2950?

andrew2 at one.net andrew2 at one.net
Mon Jun 5 17:12:35 EDT 2006

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

>>> Has anyone had experience with the CE-500's? Should I be looking to
>>> these as the preferred alternative for new installs?

I just got a pair in a few weeks ago.  They do the job for what I needed
(cheap, layer 2 managed switch w/ SFP ports) but I really wouldn't
recommend them.  The lack of a CLI really took me by surpise.  The GUI
is actually quite good for a Cisco GUI, but you're pretty limited as far
as what you can do.  Also it uses all of Cisco's made-up words for bits
of technology so prepare to do some hunting on TAC to figure out what
some of the things are.

They work fine, and are relatively quick and easy to configure, but seem
pretty feature-limited, especially if you like doing a lot of work via
SNMP...

I don't think I'll be ordering any more -- you can find the same (lack
of) features for cheaper from other brands if you're just looking for a
cheap L2 managed switch.

Andrew