[c-nsp] BGP Best Practice

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.se
Wed Jun 7 08:09:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:50:05AM +0100, Danny Vernals wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of a good document that sets out BGP best practice for
> Internet useage?
>
> I'm specifically looking for something that states policy regarding intra-AS
> routing i.e. that all eBGP speakers must be connected together via iBGP or
> at worst some kind of redistribution into and out of an IGP.
You will probably be best off using fully meshed
iBGP. If you redistribute to OSPF and then back
you will loose all community attributes, lpref and
so on. Also, if you have some switches not capable
of a 180k table in OSPF you will not be able to
use those.

I've actually never heard of anyone redisting an
entire BGP table into IGP..
If you have a lot of routers, a route reflector
might be worth considering.

> I've had a brief scan of RFC1771 and 1772 and can't find anything that
> states this clearly (although it is hinted at in more than one area)
>
> ("*The use of the term Autonomous System here stresses the fact that ? the
> administration of an AS appears to other ASs to have a single coherent
> interior routing plan and presents a consistent picture of what destinations
> are reachable through it"*  from 1771 is the best I could find)

Regards,
  Kristian.

--
Kristian Larsson                                   KLL-RIPE
IPv6 & Peering coordinator             SpriteLink [AS39525]
+46 704 910401			     kristian at spritelink.se