[c-nsp] BGP Best Practice

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jun 7 10:00:50 EDT 2006

Danny Vernals <> wrote on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:50 PM:

> I know all the theory etc but I need to explain it to a Transit
> customer of mine and would like to have an offical document to quote
> rather than just explaining it myself.
>
> They currently connect to us via eBGP in 2 geographic locations from
> one AS.  I need to stop them from removing the physical and
> associated iBGP connectivity between these locations leaving a
> split-AS.
>
> (They're allowing updates in containing their own AS)

well, why do you want to stop them? If they are prepared to receive
paths with their own AS (and allow this to happen), everything is fine,
isn't it? There could be issues with aggregation (unless they use
distinct aggregates in either location), but in general, this topology
works just fine (and is in use in several MPLS-VPNs where the same ASN
is used in multiple sites)..
Not sure if I would do it if I was multi-homed to several ISPs, but if
you are the only upstream, why not? At the end, they're using more of
your services (and might pay more $$ ;-)

	oli