[c-nsp] C2950G sh arp

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jun 9 23:53:11 EDT 2006

Jon Lewis wrote:

> Given a L3 capable switch that provides L2 connectivity for several
> routers in one POP with routers in several other POPs, do you:
>
> a) pick 1 local router to be the switch's default-gateway?..knowing that
> if there's an outage of that 1 router, you've lost remote management of
> the switch...though it'd still be reachable from any of the devices
> directly connected to it.
>
> b) pick 1 virtual IP to be the switch's default-gateway and
> use HSRP/VRRP/etc on the "local" routers to provide that virtual IP?
>
> c) turn on ip routing and run your IGP (OSPF) on an SVI, knowing that due
> to the switch's limitations on routing table size and location in your
> network (firmly planted in area 0) you will eventually outgrow its routing
> table capability?  "ah, but we'll upgrade it to something better before
> then...right?"
>
> d) give it a management uplink into an access switch that has redundant
> uplinks, using the access switch as default-gateway?
>
> e) something else?

I've done b and c, but generally prefer:

e) Connect the console port of the switch and other devices to a
terminal server such as a 2511 that is on the network via b or c,
and also has a modem connected to a copper POTS line into which I
can dial if the whole site becomes unreachable from wherever I
happen to be.  Portmaster 2e devices are readily available cheap
and make a good terminal server as well, but they're 3U instead of
the 1U 2511s.  They support 30 lines though.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323