[c-nsp] C2950G sh arp

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jun 10 00:04:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> I've done b and c, but generally prefer:

I'm very tempted to do c.  We're only at a little more than 1/8th the
switch's claimed routing table capacity...but I don't like the idea of
a configuration I know will fail eventually.  I guess in some places
that's unavoidable.  7200s with 256mb are certainly nearing the end of
their ability to take multiple full tables.

> e) Connect the console port of the switch and other devices to a
> terminal server such as a 2511 that is on the network via b or c,
> and also has a modem connected to a copper POTS line into which I
> can dial if the whole site becomes unreachable from wherever I
> happen to be.  Portmaster 2e devices are readily available cheap
> and make a good terminal server as well, but they're 3U instead of
> the 1U 2511s.  They support 30 lines though.

While nice for out of band management, I'm more interested in how to
properly provide ethernet connectivity for the switch (for snmp stats
polling for instance).  We have a large stack of PM2es and PM25s (left
over from analog dialup service days) that we've been meaning to turn into
console servers for years.