[c-nsp] GRE throughput

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Jun 12 22:02:54 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:11:40PM -0400, Terry Baranski wrote:
> Anyone have any numbers (either real-world or from the marketing department)
> for GRE throughput on Cisco devices?  The only number I could find is for
> the tunnel card on the 12000 -- 2.7Mpps.  I see that the PFC3 can do GRE in
> hardware with newer code (whether it's entirely hardware-based or somewhat
> hardware-assisted isn't clear),

It's hw switched as long as the GRE tunnel source is unique. Look
at the configuration guide for the sup720 it clearly explains that.

 and the 6500/7600 VPN Services Module claims
> to accelerate GRE.

That's a bit different as the VPNSM can take over both the GRE
and the IPSEC if you are doing GRE over IPSEC.

As for the raw numbers I don't know. It's high for raw GRE as it's
done in hardware so whatever the number is for the sup720 it
should be able to do GRE at those rates.

Same as for the VPNSM along with normal encryption rates.

Rodney

  But no numbers.