[c-nsp] MPLS Load balancing Question

Annu Roopa annu_roopa at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 05:22:12 EDT 2006

Hi Guys,

  I have a scenario which a customer is expecting to do and wanted to check if anyone had implemented anything close.

  The customer wants to do load balancing using the two PEs - PE1 and PE2. What i thought of is doing MHSRP on the CE such that some traffic goes over CE1 and some over CE2, such that both PE1 and PE2 are used. But the challenge is the return trafffic may take a different PE while coming back in. This will cause an asymmetric traffic pattern and could be an issue for some apps like Voice.

  Question:

  Customer wants to do load balancing over PE1 and PE2 towards other PEs. Is this possible ? Is there any way we can have the return traffic use the same PE and yet have redundancy maintained. Any other gotchas to be aware of, other than loops between PE1 and Pe2 having same site.

  Topology:

             /                                                  |    mpls     |-------PE3-------CE3
  PC ----/                                                    |   cloud     |

  Thanks for your replies.