[c-nsp] tag-switching mtu question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jun 23 11:10:25 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:38:41PM -0400, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Unfortunately it's a pretty confusing mess as we ever allowed
> that tag mtu to be configurable over the physical MTU.

... while at the same time disallowing to increase the physical MTU. Yes.

> In 12.2(28)SB you can't do that anymore and in an upcoming
> 12.4T version you will not be able to either.

I'm not sure what that implies.

If I understand this correctly, it means that in 12.2(28)SB I would
be able to configure "mtu 1530" on a PA-FE-TX, and have that MTU be
working for MPLS and IP?   Or will "ip mtu" automagically stay at 1500?

(Right now I'm stuck with a couple of boxes that would profit from
"ip mtu 1530" on some FE links, as there are GRE and IPIP tunnels that
should be able to carry 1500 byte packets without fragmentation, and
no MPLS infrastructure in between...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de