[c-nsp] L2TP tunnel for BGP peering

rendo r3nd0 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 13:01:10 EDT 2006

Hi Khrisna

I think what you are doing is normal for us that live in asian country.
Sometimes, the price to have direct connection to US based internet provider
is cheaper than to have internet connection via local POP. The bandwidth
price going to internet is higher than going to specific destination.

But, what i do not understand, why do you prefer to use L2TP tunnel rather
than normal IPIP or GRE tunnel? It is easy to setup BGP over IPIP or GRE.

-rendo-

On 6/23/06, Robert E.Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  It seems to me
> that you're not only paying for your bandwidth twice (once via arbinet
> and once via your current upstream provider), but you aren't getting
> any diversity out of it.  Are you trying to appear to be bigger than
> you actually are?  Meet a requirement for PI space?
>
> ---Rob
>

> Kanagaraj Krishna <kanagaraj at aims.com.my> writes:
>
> > We were looking at Arbinet(US) to setup our L2TP tunnel BGP session.
> They have
> > a few major players connected to them. For your information we are
> planning to
> > run this tunnel through on our current upstream provider. Any thoughts
> on
> > these? Thanks
> >
> > Kana
> >

> >> You still have to get the bits there somehow, which is a major
> >> component of the price differential between Malaysia and the US.  How
> >> were you planning to do that?
> >>
> >>                                         ---Rob

> the IP
> the