[c-nsp] L2TP tunnel for BGP peering

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jun 26 10:14:39 EDT 2006

"Kanagaraj Krishna" <kanagaraj at aims.com.my> writes:

> Rob,
>         The things you mentioned makes sense and true(redundant payment, no
> diversity etc). We wanted better connectivity to America and Europe at a
> cheaper price and thats what mooted this suggestion. Previously we had a bad
> experience with our direct connection to MCI-Asia (AS703), its path  was not
> as much prefered as MCI-US (AS701) resulting in low utilization of the link
> compared to the high cost paid.

Even after BGP padding to your other upstream provider and selective
depreffing of your inbound routes?

> A L2TP tunnel would give us an opportunity
> to be directly connected to AS701 in US(just an example) at fraction of the
> cost.

I'm not sure I understand the "at [a] fraction of the cost" part.
You're still paying for moving the bits over a satellite connection, right?

> Comments?   Have you seen similar L2TP scenarios/setup  in the ISP
> industry?

We haven't even talked about the issues with MTUs etc yet.  I think
this is a bad idea.

                                        ---Rob