[c-nsp] tag-switching mtu question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jun 26 12:39:48 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:09:58PM +0100, David Freedman wrote:
> 1. Both the PA-FE and IO-FE series of interfaces are limited to
> transmitting up to 1530 bytes of frame "on the wire"

I assume that this is a hardware issue of the DEC21140 chips?

What about the PA-2FE-TX and IO-2FE ethernets, built on the i82543 chips?

Is IOS clueful enough to do "the right thing" on DEC and i82543 chips
(if there is a difference)?

(Is there a way to tell IOS "hey, I am using this PA-2FE-TX board because
I need larger MTUs, but I'm not going to use the second FE port, so please
shut up and don't annoy me with needless bandwidth points warnings"?)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de