[c-nsp] tag-switching mtu question

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Jun 26 13:21:38 EDT 2006

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:09:58PM +0100, David Freedman wrote:
>> 1. Both the PA-FE and IO-FE series of interfaces are limited to
>> transmitting up to 1530 bytes of frame "on the wire"
>
> I assume that this is a hardware issue of the DEC21140 chips?
>
> What about the PA-2FE-TX and IO-2FE ethernets, built on the i82543 chips?
>
> Is IOS clueful enough to do "the right thing" on DEC and i82543 chips
> (if there is a difference)?

Well, the closest thing I can find in terms of documentation on the DEC
chip is from a VxWorks manual, and it says:

SYSTEM RESOURCE USAGE:
    - one mutual exclusion semaphore
    - one interrupt vector
    - 16 bytes in the uninitialized data section (bss)
    - 180 bytes (plus overhead) of malloc ed memory per unit
    - 1530 bytes (plus overhead) of malloc ed memory per frame buffer,

    - minimum 5 frame buffers.

This would tend to imply that the 1530B limit is indeed down to the DEC
chip.

As for the i82543 I can't seem to find any information on this