[c-nsp] 12.2(33)SRA is finally out!

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Wed Jun 28 13:27:15 EDT 2006

> Rather I think you'll see two trains, which both will run in
> both chassi.

There's were rumors that the two trains would only run on their respective
platform. IMO that would be totally idiotic, and I guess there are far too
many of 'the wrong kind' in production out there for that to make any sense.

However, for SRA they're actually saying that (just) the 7600 is supported,
though then adding: "Although Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SRA is intended to
run on Cisco 7600 series routers, you can run this release on Cisco Catalyst
6500 series switches. Before you do so, ensure that the hardware components
and the software features that you require are compatible."

I'm sure the message will be the reverse for Whitney (the Enterprise
counterpart).

Quite a lot of the 6500 modules (especially service modules) are not
supported in SRA and I suspect that there'll be more of that in the future.

Why dev-test PFC3A for SRA? In fact, why dev-test inline power stuff? Or a
CallManager module? And why dev-test a DPT SIP/SPA for Whitney? I'm sure
it'll be just like the features, a matter of prioritization of dev-test
resources.

> Reasons for the split, from my point of view are not marketing
> reason to differentiate the chassi, but probably more about
> fundamental changes to the architecture

It sounded like a good idea back when the enterprise (12.1 E) and service
provider (12.0 S) trains were integrated on the 6500/7600 (12.2 SX), because
"it's the same hardware".

But in fact it caused a lot of pain, because neither group were getting the
features they needed, when they needed them. (For example, Catalyst 6500,
"the premium enterprise switch", has an almost laughable 802.1x/IBNS feature
set).

-A