[c-nsp] Gigabit EtherChannel

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Jun 29 06:52:49 EDT 2006

Jon Lewis <mailto:jlewis at lewis.org> wrote on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
11:00 PM:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
>
>> Alexandra Alvarado <> wrote on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:45 PM:
>>

>>> Is it possible to join one GEIP+ and one GEIP in an EtherChannel
>>> configuration?
>>
>> I see no reason why this wouldn't work..
>
> If the bandwidth is (or becomes) much higher than what a single GEIP
> can handle, wouldn't it be a bad idea unless the goal is just
> redundancy?
> Won't the single GEIP+ on its own handle about as much traffic as a
> GEIP & GEIP+ etherchannel can handle?

I did not talk about performance of the whole thing. a GEIP or GEIP+ on
a 7500 will not do line-rate (given IMIX) anyway, so I assumed that this
is targeted for redundancy reason, rather than load..  I guess you are
right, a GEIP+ by itself will likely provide similar performance
compared to a GEIP&GEIP+ channel at the end..

	oli