[c-nsp] Bridging 802.1q VLANs

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jun 30 00:09:35 EDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Richard J. Sears wrote:

> I am moving from one office to another and I would like to do it as
> seamlessly as possible.  I'm looking for a way to bridge 802.1q VLAN's
> across a WAN link so that I don't have to move entire VLAN's at once. At
> the current office I've got a NetGear switch (which supports 802.1q) as
> a core switch and at the new office I've got a Cisco 3560 as a core
> switch.  The PTP connection between the two offices will be 7 T1's
> terminated at both ends by a single 7204 NPE200 with a PA-MC-8T1. We
> can't afford to put in a GigE connection between the two offices or this
> would be really easy via VTP.  From what I've read it looks like there
> may be a way to do this via VRF or SDE. Has anyone else done something
> similar?

Back when I was looking into helping a customer do this, the
recommendation was to run Frame Relay encapsulation over the serial
connection and have a PVC per vlan, and put each pvc into a vlan's bridge
group.  They ended up getting an ethernet connection between the
buildings, so we didn't have to do this.