[c-nsp] Sampled netflow on 6500/7600

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jun 30 18:39:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 06:24:03PM -0400, Bill Nash wrote:

> I'm not going to even pretend to have your level of expertise here, but
> I'm only seeing one or two percent tcam utilization on a moderately loaded
> 6509. I suppose it's also possible that even though I'm configured in
> such a manner that I'm still pulling 15 to 16 gigs of raw flows out of my
> network on a daily basis, I'm still doing it wrong.

Well just to clarify, by moderate load I mean something like:

     Forwarding engine load:
                     Module       pps   peak-pps                     peak-time
                     5        1489010    2542352  13:05:48 EDT Sun May 21 2006

show fabric utilization all:
 slot    channel      speed    Ingress %     Egress %
    1          0        20G           17            6
    1          1        20G           15           12
    4          0        20G            5           10
    4          1        20G            8           16
    5          0        20G            0            0

Aka nowhere close to "large volumes of traffic", but not completely empty,
just a typical aggregation box pushing typical internet traffic.

Summary of Netflow CAM Utilization (as a percentage)
TCAM Utilization             :   72%
ICAM Utilization             :   0%

Destination flowmask only, v4 sampling only, v5 export, etc.