[c-nsp] PPPoE -> VRF Virtual Templates

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Mar 3 01:51:57 EST 2006

Matthew Crocker <> wrote on Friday, March 03, 2006 12:04 AM:

Hi,

>   I have a 7206VXR/NPE-G1/512MB RAM running with a PA-A3-T3 that has
> 40ish PVCs.  Each PVC is carrying RFC1483 traffic with PPPoE sessions
> from subscribers.  I need to be able to terminate PPPoE sessions into
> different VRFs based on login info (@domain.com) or with RADIUS
> attributes.   Can anyone verify that this can be accomplished?  Does
> anyone have any spare configs?

yes, this can be done, see below:

> user at crocker.com goes to VRF crocker.com and is assigned a dynamic IP
> address from the crocker.com IP pool
> user at acme.com goes to VRF acme.com and is assigned a static IP
> address from the acme.com VRF, via RADIUS
>
> VRF will have basic configs with some static routes and an OSPF
> session.

ip vrf crocker.com
ip vrf acme.com
 ..
int lo100
 ip vrf forwarding crocker.com
 ip address .....
int lo101
 ip vrf forwarding acme.com
 ip address .....
!
int virtual-template1
 no ip address
 no peer default ip address
 ppp authentication chap pap ..
!
! you need the "group .." only when you have overlapping pool addresses
ip local pool crocker-pool <start> <end> group crocker.com
ip local pool acme-pool <start> <end> group acme.com

a Radius profile for a user would then include

 Cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#1=ip vrf forwarding crocker.com"
 Cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#2=ip unnumbered lo100"
 Cisco-avpair = "ip:addr-pool=crocker-pool"

and similar for acme.

> I'm hoping that the router can preselect the VRF via the @domain.com
> part and select a radius server to authenticate off of based on the
> VRF.

This is also possible using per-vrf AAA feature, but it is more
complicated and has some restrictions as to which attributes can be
assigned from the customers' Radius server. Check out
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft
/122t/122t13/ftvrfaaa.htm for samples.

> If not,  I'm hoping that the router can assign the customer to
> the VRF based on a RADIUS attribute from our proxy radius server.

If you can use a proxy, this is certainly the most flexible approach as
you can filter/add/remove attributes received from your customers'
server (obviously depends on your AAA server).

> Would I need a Virtual-Template for each VRF and then assign that
> template the user?  Some PVCs are dedicated to a specific VRF, some
> of them will have customers mixed across multiple VRFs

No, as shown above. You do all of the above on a per-user level (from
the LNS' perspective, the Radius server might use the realm/domain)..

	oli