[c-nsp] 6500/7600 "reserved" power for secondary sups

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 3 16:39:55 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:19:06PM -0800, Ian Cox wrote:

> No.

> This is by design. We need to be able to handle the case of plugging
> in a redundant supervisor and having it power up. You can place your
> line card into the redundant supervisor slot.

Lets say for example that someone was buying colo from a particular vendor
who was too retarded to deliver a 220V AC circuit on time. Lets say that
someone wanted to turn up box on 110V now, and then move to 220V when
previously mentioned retarded colo vendor got their act together. Lets
also say that there is enough actual power to run on one power supply
during the move (so that you could switch one power supply at a time and
have no impact during the transition), but there isn't enough to run the
actual power + account for the phantom supervisor.

What happens if you pull the second power supply? Does it sacrifice a real
card in order to keep power available for the phantom slot? Other than
putting something else in its place (which means doing a card move after
the fact to free up slot 6 if you ever DID want to put a second sup
there), wouldn't it make sense for there to be an option to completely
disable this slot and its associated power if you knew you weren't going
to be using it?

#no power enable module 6
% module is not present