[c-nsp] problem with newly installed vip and pa-fe-tx on 7507

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Mar 8 19:12:44 EST 2006

You're fine with an RSP4 for lots more than 50 Mb/s, just so long as
your're pure dCEF. The VIP2-50 is good for around 70-80+ Mb/s, IMHO, but a
high percentage of small packets will kill the CPU (think DDoS), even with
only maybe 10-20 Mb/s or so of the minimum-size packets. The VIP4-80 is
better, but pricey.

If you're only running 1-3 meg you'll have no problems with the 75xx and
VIPs, although I'd stay away from any of the old CxBus blades since I've
seen wierd performance problems using those when mixed in with some VIPs
and a reasonable amount of traffic (several tens of megabits). Stick with
everything in VIPs and dCEF everywhere and you'll be fine until somewhere
in the 50-100 Mb/s range, depending on your traffic mix and the features
you are running. The RSP4 *will* become a problem if you need more than 2
full BGP feeds (it can take 2, but I don't think 3 will fit in the 256MB
on the RSP4), and at some point the global route table will start to make
2 full views a problem too -- although I think that is years off yet.

     -Bill