[c-nsp] recommended platform between Catalyst 3750 and 6500?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Mar 12 23:22:38 EST 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Andrew wrote:

> Hm, bummer, but okay.  Which supervisor engine would allow me to
> retain the same "performance" as my 3750 (in terms of Layer 3 pps and
> bitrates)?  The 3750 doesn't really list specs for how well it can
> forward stuff at L3, so I assume it's all line rate.  Am I going to be
> taking a performance hit by going to the 6500?
>
> It looks like the Sup1A doesn't have CEF, so that's definitely going
> to be slower.  The Sup720 is way more than I need (and also outside of
> my price range).  That leaves the Sup2 and Sup32 (and it's associated
> addons/modules).

Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 (it's all one big card) will do what you need.  AFAIK,
Sup32 is featurewise a Sup720-3b, without the extra bus/bandwidth
capacity.  The Sup2 gives you 2 GBIC interfaces.  Add additional cards for
the interfaces you need.

> Is there anything I should keep in mind when choosing between the Sup2
> and Sup32?  Also, what modules (as in MSFCn/PFCn/etc.) should I be
> looking at?  (Needless to say, this is my first foray into modular
> Cisco stuff...)  Am I going to be comfortable at 512MB of RAM, or is
> 1GB really the minimum nowadays for doing 2-3 full feeds?  Thanks.

512MB (make sure you get that on both the supervisor and MSFC2) is
enough...at least for now.