[c-nsp] recommended platform between Catalyst 3750 and 6500?

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Mon Mar 13 15:09:05 EST 2006

> It looks like the Sup1A doesn't have CEF, so that's definitely
> going to be slower.

The fact that it doesn't do hardware-CEF doesn't mean it routes
in software. It just does MLS instead, which is flow-based. The
Sup1A is End-of-Sale and End-of-Life, however, and you get more
in a Sup32 for less.

> Is there anything I should keep in mind when choosing between
> the Sup2 and Sup32?

The Sup32 does everything the Sup2 does, and then some (e.g. MPLS
and IPv6, GRE and NAT in hardware etc. ). It's also cheaper. You
can add a switch fabric to the Sup2 (to get 128 Gbps), but then
the price is the same as a Sup720 (360 Gbps), which has the same
features as the Sup32 + much higher performance.

It's no great surprise that the Sup2 is now announced End-of-Sale
and End-of-Life.

The caveat with Sup32 is that it (only) has a PFC3B onboard, and
that will 'only' let you install 256k routes in hardware (TCAM),
no matter how much DRAM you give it. If you need more than that,
you have to go to a Sup720 with PFC3BXL (1M routes).

> Also, what modules (as in MSFCn/PFCn/etc.) should I be
> looking at?  (Needless to say, this is my first foray into
> modular Cisco stuff...)

The Sup32 has all the routing and forwarding functionality. It
doesn't need any daughter cards. It also has either 8 GE ports or
2 10G ports.

-A