[c-nsp] WS-6748-SFP with or without DFC?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Mar 13 06:35:45 EST 2006

DFC distributes *everything* from the PFC - L2, IP, MPLS, ACLs/QoS, &
netflow. The PFC & DFC ASICs are the same.

With respect to multicast, DFCs give you efficient egress multicast
replication, saving fabric b/w, and increase the aggregate multicast
lookup throughput for the system.

With respect to NF, DFCs give you a dedicated NF table on each DFC +
on the PFC - each fwding engine maintains its own NF table. So you
can collect stats for many more flows than w/a centralized fwding
engine system.

Note that w/NFv9, we can now export IPv4 multicast flow data from
6500, which may be of use to you based on the requirements you outlined.

Tim

At 05:22 PM 3/13/2006, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com vociferated:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759