[c-nsp] WS-6748-SFP with or without DFC?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Tue Mar 14 05:08:19 EST 2006

Definitely useful, thanks.

When you say 'efficient egress replication', it seems as though it already
does egress replication on the
67 line cards, as the MET is distributed, no? If so, what's the
difference?

With NF, does it record total multicast output to a group accurately when
you're doing egress replication? Or does that
require the DFC?

Internet
tstevens at cisco.com

13/03/2006 11:35

Christian MACNEVIN, cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
Re: [c-nsp] WS-6748-SFP with or without DFC?

DFC distributes *everything* from the PFC - L2, IP, MPLS, ACLs/QoS, &
netflow. The PFC & DFC ASICs are the same.

With respect to multicast, DFCs give you efficient egress multicast
replication, saving fabric b/w, and increase the aggregate multicast
lookup throughput for the system.

With respect to NF, DFCs give you a dedicated NF table on each DFC +
on the PFC - each fwding engine maintains its own NF table. So you
can collect stats for many more flows than w/a centralized fwding
engine system.

Note that w/NFv9, we can now export IPv4 multicast flow data from
6500, which may be of use to you based on the requirements you outlined.

Tim

At 05:22 PM 3/13/2006, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com vociferated:
>Hi,
>
>Just looking at one of Tim's presentations from Power sessions, and the
>CEF720 module architecture.
>What functionality does the DFC add/distribute on the 67XX cards? This is
>relevant to a high-performance
>multicast enabled LAN environment where we're starting to consider
NetFlow

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759