[c-nsp] 7500 slot configuration

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Tue Mar 14 16:13:25 EST 2006

If the last vip is a spare, I'd keep it out too. If you lose a router
due to a surge or loss-of-blue-smoke, the vip will be much safer in a
static bag on a shelf.

I think, but am not certain, that the buses on each side of the RSPs are
seperate. How data gets between the cybuses, I don't know, and it's a
good question . It would be best to have the highest traffic devices on
the same bus, (or in the same VIP if they will fit).

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:49:49AM -0500, David Coulson wrote:
> 	I've got a couple of 7507s here, which are going to end up with
> identical configs.
>
> 2x RSP4
> 2x GEIPs
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ PA-MC-T3
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ PA-2T3 + PA-FE
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ nothing
>
> My question is this. I know the 7500s have a bus on slots 0+1 and slots
> 4+5+6, however I'm trying to figure out if there is a performance hit
> going between the two buses. My first thought is to put all the active
> hardware in 4+5+6 (GEIP+MC-T3+2T3/FE), so it's on the same bus, and the
> backup stuff in 0(GEIP), however I'm unsure if this is the best way to
> go.
>
> So, does it even matter where cards go in these routers? If so, what's
> the best way to organize it?
>
> David

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Internet Access,
    KB1IOJ        |  Hosting, and TCP-IP Networks for Midcoast Maine
 http://f64.nu/   |             http://www.midcoast.com/
*/