[c-nsp] 7500 slot configuration

dave oleary doleary at juniper.net
Tue Mar 14 16:34:33 EST 2006

At 01:13 PM 3/14/2006, jp wrote:
>If the last vip is a spare, I'd keep it out too. If you lose a router
>due to a surge or loss-of-blue-smoke, the vip will be much safer in a
>static bag on a shelf.
>
>I think, but am not certain, that the buses on each side of the RSPs are
>seperate. How data gets between the cybuses, I don't know, and it's a
>good question . It would be best to have the highest traffic devices on
>the same bus, (or in the same VIP if they will fit).

unless something has really changed with the architecture in the
last few years, the same bus vs. different bus doesn't matter.
All the packets still go through the RSP.
Most (all?) of the VIPs do local switching for most packets between
interfaces on the same VIP (unless they need special handling),
but otherwise it is across the bus twice for each packet - into
memd and out of memd to the egress VIP.

                                         dave