[c-nsp] overly optimistic pps rates?

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristosig at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 05:20:04 EST 2006

Hi,

Answers inline.

2006/3/17, Andrew <andrew.cnsp at gmail.com>:
> Hello-
> So I'm looking at Cisco's router performance guide
> <http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf>.
>  Are these pps overly optimisic, or are they pretty dead-on for
> average internet traffic?  I'm looking to run a full DS3 with a Cisco

They are pretty much dead-on for 64 byte packets, no features.

> 2811.  The 2811 wouldn't be doing anything else -- I was going to have
> a Catalyst 3750 do a multihop BGP session to the far end of the DS3.
> I'm looking to do around 30-40Mbps and around 90pps.  Is the 2811
> going to cut it?

First of all, yes, the 2811 will most likely do fine in a "standard"
setup on that kind of throughput.

Second of all, if you're going to do ATM, as your comment below
implies, a DS3 is unlikely to ever go above 36-38 Mbit/s, so you will
be fine. :-)

> <newbie> Also, what's the difference between the ATM DS3 NM (NM-1A-T3)
> and the "standard" DS3 module (NM-1T3/E3)?  I'm looking to setup an IP
> connection between my device and another ISP.  No Layer 2 transport or
> anything fancy.</newbie>

-Kristo