[c-nsp] PoS + Giga interfaces on 7600

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 07:45:32 EST 2006

Briefly,

7609 terminating transit internet links from upstream, over PoS and GigE
ports on the Sup720 and Flexwan, i got a GigE module (WS-X6724-SFP), its now
inserted

I want to move the Giga interfaces from the Sup720 to this module, i'll
configure VLANs and of course do BGP peering over these interfaces, i'll
also have the downlink to all the network from the card.

Its fabric-enabled, so it will use the Switch Fabric of the Sup720.

I would like to know what you guys think about this, when i move them all on
the Gig module, one thing i will gain is being able to have Full RTR backup
between the two Sup720 modules, if there is any limitation i should worry
about or better solution, please notify me.

On 10/17/05, Saku Ytti <saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi> wrote:

> On (2005-10-17 15:29 +0200), Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> > > So, i understand that i will not be able to do any Traffic Shaping on
> both
> > > WS-X6724-SFP and Sup720 Giga interfaces, what exactly do you mean by
> the
> > > deep packet buffers and what do you refer to by "and stuff"?
> >
> > The LAN interfaces have a few ms worth of buffering whereas a WAN card
> > usually has 250 ms worth of buffers, or more.

Do i have to worry about anything from the above (buffering), my application
needs alot of buffers yes, but for OC16 worth of traffic, should i worry ?

 i know that it makes no diff. if i terminate the links on the Gig port on
Sup720 or card, am i correct ?

Also the VLAN space is not shared in WAN card. VPLS is WAN only so far.
> Perhaps PFC3c will change this.

I dont have MPLS configure over this router, so i guess i shouldnt worry
about that.

At last is QoS, i guess i'm still with the same problem, unless i get OSM
and i dont think its possible.

All your suggestions are welcomed

Thanks