[c-nsp] Possible memory corruption w/ 12.2(18)S11

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Mar 21 17:40:45 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:35:54PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rodney Dunn <rodunn at cisco.com> said:
> > I have a customer on 12.0(27)S throttle with MLPPP and
> > SSO. They have been running for a year or so with no issues
> > at all and they use it heavily.
> >
> > Don't just give a train version give the release in a train.
> > You could be running something 5 years old.
>
> We were on an ancient version (12.0(25)S1) when we first experienced
> trouble (right after configuring SSO).

That same customer I mentioned started on 12.0(25)S and we fixed
a bunch of MLPPP bugs right at that timeframe. Hey were a very very
heavy mlppp user on the 75xx with MCT3 PA's.

>  TAC recommended 12.0(31)S1, and
> we had the same result.  I think eventually TAC just closed the case.

That's crap. Reopen it if you are still having the problem and want
to get it fixed. If they don't figure it out send me the case number.
I can't say that for all cases but I've worked enough on that feature
combination on that platform where I can say send it to me.

> The symptoms were weird: the two routers on the end of the MLPPP bundle
> could not ping each other (numbered interface), but they could route
> traffic through the link (I could sit on a server and ping both ends of
> the interface as well as other devices on the far end).  The OSPF timer
> would then kick in and the routes would be removed.  At that point, we
> had to reload the router to get the interface back.

That tells me you had a problem getting packets from the RSP to/from
the VIP but transit packets between VIPs were fine (if you could
ping through the box). Most of the customers I've worked with doing
MLPPP are on either the 26S or 27S throttle (latest rebuild on CCO)
and I've not heard of any major problems there.

Rodney