[c-nsp] Possible memory corruption w/ 12.2(18)S11

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Mar 21 23:41:48 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> > > What about the current 12.2? Plenty of people have mentioned issues with
> > > 12.3 recently...
> >
> > Yeah.. I just spoke to a customer this morning who has stopped calling his
> > 12.3 load IOS and is now referring to it as "CrashOS" instead. ;)
>
> The could be talking about 12.3(1) for all we know. Please be more
> specific. I have worked on some extensive bug reviews for 12.3(18)
> and while there are still some there it's far from being riddled with
> bugs. We take it very serious and there is a lot of work that goes in
> to evaluating a release for GD status and 12.3(18) is being evaluated.
> We prevented 12.3(17) from getting to that status because of a single
> bug we thought was too severe.

Point taken. I don't want to downplay the work that you are doing, but
when we are talking about our Core routers, the lifeblood of our
operation, we just can't afford to make mistakes.

That being said;

> > OSPF
> > BGP
> > IRB
> > HSRP
> > 802.1q
> > CEF and dCEF
> > GEIP Support
> > VIP Support
> > PA-T3 Support
> > PC-MC-T3 Support
>
> 12.2 mainline should have it but I don't know about the IRB stuff
> with dCEF. We don't recommend anyone doing IRB on a 75xx since
> it's not dCEF switched.
>
> 12.3(18) should give you all the features and has CEF support
> for BVI's at least at the RSP level from what I recall.

I've always been inclined, (based on past experiences w/ CCO) to run the
SERVICE PROVIDER/VIP loads of IOS. I was told that this is tuned for
Providers in several ways and makes the best choice for running high
availability BGP routers.

Would you agree with that?

And secondly, what are the major differences between the follwing release
trains? If there is a document that explains this, I'd be happy to read
it.

IP
IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES
ENTERPRISE IPSEC 3DES