[c-nsp] Possible memory corruption w/ 12.2(18)S11

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Mar 21 17:46:40 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:36:52PM -0500, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, David Coulson wrote:
>
> > Rodney Dunn wrote:
> > > You need 12.3 or 12.4 mainline and you don't
> > > get any HA other than RPR+ there. We don't support
> > > those features with SSO anyway so it doesn't do you
> > > any good.
> >
> > What about the current 12.2? Plenty of people have mentioned issues with
> > 12.3 recently...
>
> Yeah.. I just spoke to a customer this morning who has stopped calling his
> 12.3 load IOS and is now referring to it as "CrashOS" instead. ;)

The could be talking about 12.3(1) for all we know. Please be more
specific. I have worked on some extensive bug reviews for 12.3(18)
and while there are still some there it's far from being riddled with
bugs. We take it very serious and there is a lot of work that goes in
to evaluating a release for GD status and 12.3(18) is being evaluated.
We prevented 12.3(17) from getting to that status because of a single
bug we thought was too severe.

> Seriously, does anyone have a clue as to what the particular issue is with
> this? Are there known memory corruption problems w/ caching on the
> 12.2(18)S series?

I don't and I'd be very amazed if anyone did know it because almost
nobody is running that code on their 75xx's. I'm not trying to
down play your question I'm just giving you the reality of that
code.

> >From memory, the most important things we need are:
>
> OSPF
> BGP
> IRB
> HSRP
> 802.1q
> CEF and dCEF
> GEIP Support
> VIP Support
> PA-T3 Support
> PC-MC-T3 Support

12.2 mainline should have it but I don't know about the IRB stuff
with dCEF. We don't recommend anyone doing IRB on a 75xx since
it's not dCEF switched.

12.3(18) should give you all the features and has CEF support
for BVI's at least at the RSP level from what I recall.