[c-nsp] open-source NMS

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 11:18:51 EST 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 10:04, Dave Lim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an open-source NMS. I want to do snmp-trapping for my
> switches, poll and graph the usage, throughput. And use it as a syslog
> server for my pix.
>
> Anyone?

I have personally built and maintained Linux-based MRTG&RRD f/SNMP and
Perl-based monitoring tools for years, up until I realized that the cost
f/maintenance vs. a value-added shrink wrapped solution, from a vendor
intelligent enough to use open-source solutions, and provide real add-on
value, could not justify in-house maintenance, anymore. (What I will be
saying next requires a disclaimer: I have absolutely no relationship with the
company I will mention, other than being a very happy customer of theirs).

One of the best models of open-source value-added for tools like the ones you
are looking for is offered by Somix, with their WebNM & Denika (SNMP, WMI and
Perl or custom-built tools), Logalot (syslog) and Scrutinizer (netflow) line
of products. They offer a system with an easy to use config creator, and a
syslog system with filter-refining capabilities that I could hardly justify
my or my people's time, anymore, in developing or maintaining by ourselves
(we are network and/or security people, not programmers or web developers).
Take a look here:

http://somix.com/products/index.php

My suggestion makes sense only under the assumption that the cost of work time
per network engineering does not justify the expense of when having him do
programming or maintenance of tools.

HTH,
Stefan