[c-nsp] Suggested / Recommended IOS version for 6500-Es

Mark Zipp mark.r.zipp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 01:37:33 EST 2006

Hi,

We're about to receive a couple of 6500s for deployment in the core of
our network. We haven't worked with these before, so we don't have any
"battle scars" from working with various IOSes on these routers (OK,
"switches" since they're 6500s).

Initially, we're going to be running basic core router features e.g.
BGP with a few full Internet route table peerings, running as BGP RRs,
OSPF carrying internal routes, although we are planning to move
towards a BGP for everything, OSPF for loopbacks model sometime in the
future. As part of that process we may migrate to IS-IS to carry the
loopbacks instead. We also want to allow for moving to using MPLS,
although we don't currently have a fixed timeframe. L2 VPNs would be
our most likely application of MPLS.

I'm hoping some battle scarred (and weary) members of this list might
be able to save us some time and point us towards some IOS versions
that they've had good success with.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.