[c-nsp] Fiber GBIC Question

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Mon Mar 27 15:42:44 EST 2006

We have a pair of 2950's that are going to be connected over single-mode
fiber shortly...  Single mode is the only option for us.

The distance is going to be only about 200 feet roughly (carrier-hotel)
and the only GBIC that supports a really short distance seems to be
multi-mode.  If I use a WS-G5486 they are rated at 6.2 miles but that
seems to be the shortest single mode option... Do I need to put
attenuators in place then?

Just wondering as this seems to be common in carrier-hotels where single
mode is only option sometimes.....

Thanks,

Paul Stewart
IP Routing/Switching