[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Mar 31 09:24:34 EST 2006

I think the previous point was a great one. There have been numerous
comparisons done on this list of old Extreme technology vs updated/newer
Cisco technology. I showed your comment to some of the crew here and it
gave them a good chuckle. (comment stating that Cisco gear just does
what Cisco says it will do) Our Cisco account team came in here at one
point during one of the major virus outbreaks, defending their gear
because rather than continuously pass all the virus traffic it locked up
, meanwhile the Juniper equivalents just kept right on passing the
"overbearing" amounts of traffic.

	Another good example of this is during SQL Slammer's
introduction we were using Black Diamond 6808s; and I remember all of
our Black Diamonds raising to 100% CPU/RAM utilization simultaneously
due to un-patched/unmanaged boxes being connected to them and sending
thousands of connections to 'unroutable IP addresses' 299.x.x.x, etc.
and the black diamond was happily trying to pass them along
unsuccessfully forever. I've not seen this behavior with the Catalyst.

-Drew