[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Fri Mar 31 13:09:26 EST 2006

> Ascend / Lucent, wow!  Remember that God awful interface on the max
> 4004's?

TAOS? The one that one all the awards (according to Ascend anyway ;-).
Somewhere they mentioned that it was called "LCD" and was originally
designed to work on an LCD, which is strange since I've never seen any
Ascend equipment with an LCD or even buttons... The gear was really solid
though. We actually still have a MAX4004 running for ISDN dialup service
with some 2+ years uptime currently (from when we moved it).

I see Cisco's CLI duplicated a lot. HP uses a Cisco-like CLI in their
ProCurve switches, although it's just close enough to make you think you
know what to expect and then it'll bite you.

     -Bill