[c-nsp] Problems sub-interface Catalyst 6500

Marko Milivojevic markom at pangalactic.net
Sun May 7 20:08:16 EDT 2006

> I'm not sure such an approach has been considered, but the relative
> complexity and potential caveats/limitations would potentially be high
> versus actual utility.

	Well, as a customer in a position that is being hurt by this, I could
immediately point out how it could be useful ;-).

	Say that you have a network that looks something like this:

  [a1]--[a2]--[a3]
   |           |
   |           |
[pe1]-------[pe2]
   ||          ||
{mpls}      {mpls}
{cld.}      {cld.}
   ||          ||
[pe3]-------[pe4]
   |           |
   |           |
  [a4]--[a5]--[a6]

	In words, there are some access rings connected to PE's, which in turn are
connected to the rest of MPLS cloud using L3 links. Due to $om€ £imitation$,
uplinks and PE-PE are implemented using LAN interfaces (in my case 10G
Ethernet).

	Then again, say  that you need "VLAN" (L2VPN) between [a2] and [a5].  You
would create VLAN in pe1, pe2, a1, a2, a3, as well as pe3, pe4, a4, a5, a6.
Then, depending on the requirement, you'd create subinterface on pe1-a1 and
do xconnect... But, wait, that turns pe1-a1 link into L3 link with all
benefits of the switched interface lost. You can't do xconnect from SVI
without using OSM/SIP/FlexWAN as uplink. As a concerned customer you
approach helpful engineer on Networkers and they recommend you "external
loopback". You go home happy man, make loopback pe1-pe1, with one end being
trunk, the other end L3 with subinterfaces. You try to create xconnect:

! a1-facing interface
interface gi1/1
  switchport trunk enc dot1q
  switchport mode trunk
!
! trunk end of loopback
interface gi1/2
  switchport trunk enc dot1q
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 27
!
! L3 end of loopback -- xconnect source interface
interface gi1/3
  no switchport
!
interface gi1/3.27
  encapsulation dot1q 27
Command rejected: VLAN 27 not available

  ... this is where we fail miserably :-)

	So, happy man, turns to be a sad man, but discovers VLAN mapping and
configures the horrible hack:

interface gi1/1
  switchport vlan mapping enable
  switchport vlan mapping 1027 27
!
interface gi1/3.27
  encapsulation dot1q 1027
  xconnect pe3.ip.ad.dr 27 encapsulation mpls
!

	This works, of course. It's using 2 VLAN's per xconnect, configures this
translation on half of the line card in question and I have no problem with
all that. However, I *do* have a problem explaining this solution to the
guys who have to do the provisioning. I tried it once, got very blank looks
on their faces and realized that this may not be the best thing to do in a
production network.

	If there was a support for "real subinterfaces", even if it were using VLAN
mapping as an underlying workaround, with all the limitations, it would
greatly simplify provisioning in casses like these. Networkers guy said they
do this on regular basis, so... I'm not the only one.

	With the current price tag of 10G SIP to solve this problem the right way
(tm), it's not an option :-).

Marko.

P.S. Just three days ago I got recommended external loopback by a Cisco
consulting engineer for another issue -- you guys seem to love this stuff! :-)