[c-nsp] traffic shaping/prioritization

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Fri May 5 13:22:24 EDT 2006

We've got a customer site with a 7206VXR/NPE-300 (12.0(27)S4) and four T1
in a mlppp bundle.  Between that router and their network they have a
Netscreen firewall (not sure of the model, but it's a 1RU rack-mount,
six 10/100 interfaces).

They regularly fill the 6Mbs, and they want to do some traffic
shaping/prioritization.

The question is:  which box, 7206 or netscreen, is better suited to do this?

A related question:  would it be a mistake to try to shape
on the firewall and do priority queuing on the router?

Whenever I think of two devices in a row, managing the traffic,
I have a vague recollection of something from file systems called
the double-buffer problem, from maybe the late '60s or early '70s.
Unfortunately, everything I remember about that is contained
in this paragraph.

Thanks,
-mark