[c-nsp] STP funnies - moving from forwarding to forwarding

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Wed May 10 16:07:30 EDT 2006

Thus spake Marko Milivojevic (markom at PanGalactic.net) on Wed, May 10, 2006 at 07:41:32PM +0000:
> > all more or less look like this:
> > [...]
> > spanning-tree portfast
>
> Just a guess...
>
> Portfast bypasses all STP states and immediately goes into forwarding. When
> the port is down, technically, it's not blocking (I could be mistaken).
> When the port comes up, STP state moves from the current state to
> forwarding. Internal state could as well be forwarding.

That doesn't have much to do with this issue:

1) something happens to access port A, vlan 2
2) for every other access port on that switch in vlan 2, the "moving
from forwarding to forwarding" syslog message is generated.

I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about.  Now, if
topology changes and other nonsence were going on that would be
another story.

Dale