[c-nsp] dsl wic back to back?

Jonny Martin jonny at fx.net.nz
Thu May 11 19:27:33 EDT 2006

> 	I was searching for a more economical solution than LRE and
> the SHDSL hardware.  For the same cost I believe I can put in the
> conduit needed for the fiber I have lying around and use some
> media converters, which would be overall a better solution IMHO.

I'm a fan of straight VDSL or G.SHDSL ethernet bridges.  Several
vendors make them but I tend to use the planet VC102 VDSL modems.
Cost ~NZD200 an end and run up to 1Km at 15Mbit/s symmetrical over a
single Cat3/4/5 pair.

http://www.planet.com.tw/product/product_dm.php?
product_id=148&menu_id=21

They're not Cisco WICs, but they're cheap, simple, and extremely
reliable.  There's also G.SHDSL devices which will do much the same
thing and give 2.3Mbit/s up to around 3.5Km on one pair.  Similar
sort of price to the above.

Cheers,
Jonny.

--