[c-nsp] When does a VLAN go down?

Shaikh, Nasir Nasir.Shaikh at atosorigin.com
Wed May 17 16:01:35 EDT 2006

Hi,
I have 2 3548s running HSRP. I also have a few static routes configured on both these switches pointing to a firewall on the LAN. These statics are then redistributed in EIGRP.
To ensure that the static routes are considered invalid if the next hop is unreachable I have configured the statics as follows:
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 vlan100 10.0.0.2

I know this works when using a physical interface as the next hop interface but here I am forced to configure the interface towards the firewall as an L2 interface.
There is a trunk configured between the 2 switches to ensure proper working of HSRP
I was hoping that when the only interface on the local switch belonging to VLAN100 goes down it will also bring the VLAN down.

I tried shutting down the interface but the VLAN100 remains active.

Any idea how I can get the VLAN100 to go down when the accessport goes down (the trunk remains active)

thanks

Nasir