[c-nsp] c6k msfc - hsrp flapping

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Thu May 18 08:49:35 EDT 2006

Yuri Lukin wrote:
> Are all your VLANs in the same standby group? If so, can you separate them
> out into separate standby groups? I've seen weird HSRP flapping issues
> before with multiple VLANs in the same standby group. I believe it's also
> Cisco best-practive and the recommended way of doing it. Also, are you
> seeing an EIGRP stuck-in-active routes? You can find out by doing "show ip
> eigrp topology active" as the problem is happening.

Be careful here - PFC1 and PFC3 support 256 different standby IDs.
PFC2 supports 16 different standby IDs, which can be of any value <255,
and it explicitly supports multiple instances in different VLANs using
the same standby ID.  I've run this way for years without issues,
it's the Cisco recommendation for this platform, and I wouldn't
advise that you take this route.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer