[c-nsp] Connecting DSL subscriber and colocation customer

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Thu May 18 20:17:13 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some pointers before I happen upon a configuration that
kinda works but that I'm never confident in...

We've got colocation customer, whose interfaces generally look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.250
 description blah blah blah
 encapsulation dot1Q 250
 ip address X.Y.149.65 255.255.255.252

(Gigabit0/1 is an 802.1q tunnel to a switch, and the switchports are
assigned to the same VLAN as the appropriate customer GigE subint.)

I've also got some IP blocks pointed down his int:

ip route X.Y.153.112 255.255.255.240 GigabitEthernet0/1.250
ip route X.Y.155.208 255.255.255.240 GigabitEthernet0/1.250

Also, on the same router, we've got DSL customers, whose interface
generally look like this:

interface ATM2/0.139 point-to-point
 ip unnumbered Loopback1
 ip helper-address X.Y.153.10
 class-int 768-128-atm
 atm route-bridged ip
 pvc 1/139

So, this colocation customer wants to have some referred DSL customers as
closely connected as they can be to him.  Ideally, they can use addresses
out of his address blocks.

Things we've considered:

- Somehow bridging the GigE and ATM subinterfaces.  I stopped at the
"can't bridge subinterfaces unless running IEEE Spanning-Tree" or some
such error.

- Somehow getting ATM2/0.139 to be part of VLAN 250.  Again, no dice.  I
haven't read all the docs, but I can't even really picture what the config
would look like.

- I've read a little about LANE, but that may be totally irrelevant.  I
haven't gone far down this road.  I'd like to be pointed in the right
direction before jumping into potentially unnecessary stuff.

- We've also considered that there may be no great way to do this...

Does anyone have any quick and easy pointers, config examples, and/or
questions whose answers would be a prerequisite to a solution?  On the
surface, this doesn't seems pretty do-able.  Normally I'm all over the
RTFM, but I figured this once I'd cheat a little and see what others had
to say before I hack something together.

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel