[c-nsp] BGP Memory Usage

Rolf Mendelsohn rolf-web at cyberops.biz
Sun May 28 13:32:29 EDT 2006

Hi Jee,

If you have 50M free now, you should have 20-30M free when you are running 2
full views (assuming you are using memory-size iomem 5 & preferably not soft
reconfig inbound).

As people on this list have pointed out in previous threads, this is not a
very stable situation to be in especially if things need to converge - e.g. a
peer flaps etc.

You need at least more than 256M of RAM to take to full table (and sleep well
at night :>), the amount of RAM required is also constantly increasing as the
global routing table grows.

cheers
/rolf

On Sunday 28 May 2006 17:50, Jee Kay wrote:
> I'm looking for some pointers as to how to best evaluate how much
> memory my BGP peerings are currently taking and whether or not a
> router can support another full view without running into problems.
>
> Specifically, I have a 3725 with 256MB memory. I take one full view,
> which appears to be using 99MB:
>
> #sh proc mem | inc BGP
>  141   0  741656732  246114228   99064060          0          0 BGP Router
>
> >From what I can gather, I have 50MB or so free - but my understanding
>
> is that 2xfull views doesn't take double the memory of 1xfull view,
> that it depends more on how many unique routes end up in the FIB?
>
> #sh mem free
>                 Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)
> Largest(b) Processor   637355E0   201227520   151717308    49510212
> 47765744    47066824 I/O    F700000     9437184     4096760     5340424
> 5196296     5315968
>

> Are there any other commands / components I should look at to
> determine whether this box can handle another full view? (the CPU is
> virtually idle.) What are peoples feelings regarding taking two full
> views to a 256MB router?
>
> Thanks in advance and apologies if I'm asking stupid questions...
> google and cisco.com didn't seem to be very helpful on this subject :)
>
> Ras

Rolf Mendelsohn
Internet Technologies / MAXNET
Angolan Cell:   +244-92-3524981