[c-nsp] BGP Memory Usage

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:11:47 EDT 2006

(sorry Rolf.. gmail makes it far too easy to press 'reply' instead of
'reply to all' :))

On 28/05/06, Rolf Mendelsohn <rolf-web at cyberops.biz> wrote:

> If you have 50M free now, you should have 20-30M free when you are running 2
> full views (assuming you are using memory-size iomem 5 & preferably not soft
> reconfig inbound).

Hmm... I don't have a 'memory-size iomem' config statement at present,
and the docs suggest the default is 25.. However, the lowest I seem to
be able to set it to is 10. What is the impact of changing this
parameter?

I also currently have soft reconfig inbound enabled, mostly to let me
do TE as required without reseting the session. I don't filter
prefixes however, so I've been assuming the memory impact of soft
reconfig is minimal.. my understanding is its only used to keep a copy
of prefixes that are filtered and not of ones that make it into the
FIB?

> You need at least more than 256M of RAM to take to full table (and sleep well
> at night :>), the amount of RAM required is also constantly increasing as the
> global routing table grows.

We've been running 256MB for the one full view for almost a year now
with no problems... fingers crossed :)

Thanks
Ras