[c-nsp] BGP Memory Usage

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sun May 28 21:52:14 EDT 2006

Jee Kay wrote:

> I also currently have soft reconfig inbound enabled, mostly to let me
> do TE as required without reseting the session. I don't filter
> prefixes however, so I've been assuming the memory impact of soft
> reconfig is minimal.. my understanding is its only used to keep a copy
> of prefixes that are filtered and not of ones that make it into the
> FIB?

What hardware & IOS version are you using?

What do you see with "sh ip b n | i refresh"?  If you see something like
"Route refresh: advertised and received(new)", which you likely do, you
don't need soft reconfig to be able to TE without resetting the session.
  All you need to do is "clear ip b x.x.x.x in", and your router will
signal the peer to essentially do a "clear ip b <you> out", thereby
reprocessing your route maps and such.

Soft reconfig can have significant advantages in certain scenarios, but
it's definitely not needed in your situation and can easily be
surrendered in exchange for more RAM breathing room.

pt