[c-nsp] Mass GRE termination

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 15:29:53 EST 2006

All,

I'm looking at a network topology with 3,000+ Cisco 877W routers in disparate
locations.  WAN connectivity to a central site already exists and the 877
provides access to the corporate network at each site.

I want to tunnel all wireless traffic to an aggregation server in the central
site, ideally at Layer 2, and hand it off to a third party who will provide
value-added services.

My first thought was to use VRFs and transport wireless traffic through our
network to the aggregation site over GRE tunnels - however L2TP may scale
better and be more 'stateful' than a GRE tunnel.

Does anyone have thoughts how this will work in practice?  I am faced with a
more-or-less blank sheet of paper at the moment :)

Peter.

--
Peter Hicks | e: my.name at poggs.co.uk | g: 0xE7C839F4 | w: www.poggs.com

   A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation