[c-nsp] Mass GRE termination

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Nov 6 20:18:17 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:29 +0000, Peter Hicks wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm looking at a network topology with 3,000+ Cisco 877W routers in disparate
> locations.  WAN connectivity to a central site already exists and the 877
> provides access to the corporate network at each site.
>
> I want to tunnel all wireless traffic to an aggregation server in the central
> site, ideally at Layer 2, and hand it off to a third party who will provide
> value-added services.

I think that Cisco's wireless LAN controllers and lightweight access
point software is supposed to do exactly what you want

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html?linkpos=3#number_3

For 3000+ access points you're probably looking at 10+ Cat 6500 Wireless
Service Modules (WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9), plus chassis, supervisors, etc.

I haven't started using lightweight access points yet, but I'm going to
be looking at converting sometime soon.  It's becoming just too painful
to manage the multitude of access points that we already have...

Jeff