[c-nsp] Fwd: Switches, Loopbacks and VLAN interfaces...

Gunga Din nachocheeze at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:01:36 EST 2006

This is correct; loopbacks are for L3 devices; on a 1900/2900, you'll
have to manage those switches inband via an "interface Vlan blah" on
the vlan interface you choose as your "managment" vlan.

Choose wisely on how you set up your inband management vlan topology
btw; I've seen far too many networks that are still doing the
hub-and-spoke "router-on-a-stick" topology that did the old campus
network bit of making vlan 1 the management vlan for every switch,
using a /16 on that interface, and spanning that one vlan around
across every single building in the enterprise.

It doesn't scale well as you grow, and is a pain in the butt to
retrofit.  Not to mention a single issue on that vlan and now every
networking device is unreachable.