[c-nsp] 6500 Sup2 memory needs

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:09:24 EST 2006

On 11/7/06, Clinton Work <clinton at scripty.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how 12.2SX will change the memory requirements.  We couldn't
> get away with just 128MB on the Sup2s.

Comparing Sup2/2's (512mb/512mb) running similar feature sets, 12.1E
PK2SV and 12.2SXF IPSERVICESK9_WAN, both sup and msfc memory
utilization is about 40mb higher under SXF.

With ~210k prefixes in the CEF table, that leaves the sup with about
270mb free. If you're at 128mb now and have to upgrade anyways,
certainly go with 512mb. The failure mode is far too ugly to justify
cutting corners.

Make sure you don't ignore your OSM's and FlexWAN's either. Legacy
FlexWAN originally shipped with 64mb per processor which you're lucky
if you haven't exhausted already, even under 12.1E.